|Released||November 22, 2010 (album)|
April 5, 2011 (radio)
May 13, 2011 (digital)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Electropop, dance-pop, hip hop|
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Writer||Nicki Minaj |
|Single release||April 5, 2011|
|Video release||May 5, 2011|
"Where Them Girls At"
"Till the World Ends (The Femme Fatale Remix)"
"Super Bass" is a song by Nicki Minaj from the deluxe edition of her debut album Pink Friday, featured as the first bonus track of the album and features background vocals by American singer Ester Dean.
The song was the most commercially successful track off the album. On the Billboard Hot 100 the song broke the Top 10, peaking at number 3. The song also fared well digitally, reaching x5 platinum in Australia, 4x platinum in Austria, 1x platinum in New Zealand, and Gold in the U.K. Critics praised the fun pop/rap fusion that Minaj pulled off, and many fans of the album were happy as well. However, many of Minaj's old fans were not happy with, "Pop Nicki". Regardless, "Super Bass" ended being one of the most played, bought, and successful tracks for Nicki and overall in 2011. The song was featured on the Just Dance 4 video game that was released in October 2012.
- Direct reference to "Blazin'".
- The song is mentioned in "Come on a Cone" where Nicki says, "Pink Friday two milli / "Super Bass" triple plat".
- The song is mentioned in "Boo'd Up (Remix)" where she says "He got that, he got that, he got that Super Bass".
Originally the video was set to premiere on the same show as where the preview was premiered on April 27, 2011, Minaj took to Twitter to reveal that the music video has been pulled from the show and would not be premiering that date for unknown reasons, tweeting "Super Bass is no longer coming out tmrw". The music video instead premiered on Minaj's official Vevo account on May 5, 2011.
- I just wanted to do something real colorful and cutesy. This is an icy world, it's a sexy world, i love sexy thing, it's a playful world. Of course I have lots of eye candy for my girls and my boys [...] We have a lot of little surprises in store for this particular video, [...] I would like to put out 50 videos. The videos really tell the story a lot more elaborately than just the song does.
- -Minaj explaining the video's inspiration.
|Premiere||May 5, 2011|
Behind the Scenes
The Super Bass Contest was a contest held in May 2011 to promote Nicki Minaj's single "Super Bass". Nicki Minaj tweeted the link to her official website (MyPinkFriday.com) for all her fans to see the rules of the contest. A similar contest was made in May 2012 for her single "Starships". Originally, only five winners were to be selected, but since so many entries were received, the list was lengthened to twelve.
The rules were posted on Minaj's official website, MyPinkFriday.com.
- Record a video of yourself performing ONLY A VERSE from Super Bass and upload to Youtube.
- Visit www.mypinkfriday.com/campaigns/371 and sign up for the campaign.
- Then enter in the link of the youtube video.
- At the end of the contest we will display ALL APPROVED videos in the video section of MyPinkFriday.com.
- Nicki will select 5 winners and they will win:
- 2 tickets and 2 passes to meet Nicki on the Femme Fatale Tour*
- A call from Nicki thanking you for participating in the contest
- Featured on the home page of MyPinkFriday.com.
*Note: If outside of the US and Canada, you may still participate and use the prize when Nicki tours through your area.
[Intro: Nicki Minaj]